|African Basket - Rwandan Peace Basket - Agaseke Reed and Grass - 18.75 Inches Tall - #56723|
Approximately 10.75" Across x 18.75" Tall
These delicate and graceful traditional Agaseke peace baskets are woven in Rwanda using native grasses, reeds, and sisal fibers.
- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- This basket has been double-woven, with split reeds placed vertically on the inside, fine grasses running horizontally on the outside, and tiny plant fibers used for thread.
- The tapered shape of the basket and the bold zig-zag design are very traditional and distinct to Rwanda.
- Rural weavers in Rwanda of all tribes, including Hutus and Tutsis, work side by side to produce these uniquely woven baskets.
- The baskets are a message of reconciliation, peace, and hope for the future.
- Baskets are such a powerful symbol of Rwanda's fresh start that an Agaseke Peace Basket is included at the center of the country's coat of arms, and is also featured on Rwanda's 5,000 Franc banknote.
- In Rwanda, basket weaving is passed down from generation to generation, from grandmother to mother to daughter.