|African Basket - Tonga - Zimbabwe Binga Gathering Basket - 14.5 Inches Across - #62396|
Approximately 14.5" Across x 13" Tall
Traditionally used as a winnowing basket, Binga baskets are popular for decorating because they are light and they have neutral colors and beautiful geometric designs. They are created from naturally dyed palm leaves.
- You will receive the exact basket pictured above.
- Create a beautiful centerpiece with this basket, which is named for where it is woven: the Binga district of Zimbabwe.
- In the early 1960's, the fertile lands of the baTonga people were permanently buried in water during construction of one of the largest man-made lakes in the world, Lake Kariba, and the people who lived there were forced to relocate to the Binga district.
- Tonga baskets are woven on radials of 'creepers' (vines), and palm leaves are sometimes dyed with bark and roots to make up the designs.
- These decorative baskets make a beautiful focal point for interior decor.