|Traditional African Mask - Yaure Yu Mask - 23 Inches Tall - #33565|
23 Inches Tall
8 Inches Across
6 Inches Deep
Material: Handcarved Wood
Some masks may show heavy patina, sometimes including African repairs. You will receive this exact mask.
- The Yaure is a small tribe in the interior of Ivory Coast, but nevertheless they have succeeded in making a dramatic impact on West African mask culture.
- Traditional Yaure mask-making is some of the finest in Africa.
- Many of their designs and artistic ideas have been assimilated into Guro carving.
- Yaure masks are thought to give the wearer super-human powers, known as "yu" in the Yaure language. This is a belief that the Yaure share with the Guro tribe.
- Yaure mask making is centered around the Je and Lo, the former being a celebration and the latter a traditional ceremony.