|African Basket - Rwanda - Tutsi Lidded Reed Peace Basket - 20 Inches Tall - #75204|
Approximately 13" Across x 20" Tall (plus 6" tall stand)
Tutsi weavers used cane, reed fibers and natural black dye to create this large lidded "Peace Basket." The stand is included.
- You will receive the exact basket and stand pictured above.
- This basket has been double-woven, with a bamboo frame inside, fine reeds creating a pattern on the outside, and tiny plant fibers used for thread.
- The bold zig-zag design is very traditional and distinct to Rwanda.
- Rural Tutsi weavers in Rwanda produce these uniquely woven baskets.
- The baskets are a message of reconciliation, peace, and hope for the future.
- In Rwanda, basket weaving is passed down from generation to generation, from grandmother to mother to daughter.